Urinary Incontinence

On October 30th, 2011, posted in: Blog by

Urinary incontinence (loss of urine control and overactive bladder) is any condition of the bladder that is described as dysfunctional bladder in which the bladder has the problem of storage or voiding.  It could be temporary or permanent, mild to moderate.  Some medications or illnesses can cause temporary urine loss however, in chronic types victims have no underlying disease and a mechanical cause such as bladder prolapsed due to pelvic surgeries, multiple vaginal deliveries, hysterectomy, or even a C-section can cause overactive and urinary incontinence. Overactive bladder may coexist via incontinence of the urine urgency and the urgency frequency condition.  The estimated number or prevalence of this disease varies between 10 to 12 million cases, with the vast majority being women ages 35-75 years.  However, younger women may also be victims of the disease.  This disease is usually under-diagnosed due to the patient’s embarrassment and lack of knowledge about the disease.  Consequently, more than 50% of the cases are under reported.  Whether it is reported or not to a medical provider, overactive bladder/incontinence has a profound negative effect on the patient’s daily life and socioeconomic value to society including psychological suffering through loss of social activity, loss of independency, lower quality of life, and isolation.  Control of these conditions of overactive/urinary incontinence cost more than 10 billion dollars annually in the United States.

While advances in treatment of overactive bladder and incontinence are encouraging, advances in non-surgical treatment such as medications are so promising that the number of surgical treatments is dramatically declining.  In our daily practice, we see a wide range of bladder dysfunction ranging from sudden onset of urine leak with or without frequency and urgency and/or total urinary incontinence.  We often see lack of urinary tract infection; however, if we do observe the urinary infection, we treat that first and hopefully, that will take care of the urgency incontinence or frequency by itself.  If it the condition becomes worse, it is associated with the incontinence.

In our clinic, there is a significant improvement in the number of patients who are gaining dryness to pre-incontinence condition, meaning that the number of patients traveling to the bathroom or using diapers is being reduced from 8-10 to almost zero.  We have been able to control the patient’s urinary symptoms up to 90% of the time using oral medication combined with behavioral modification such as bladder training or timed voiding.  Providing no anatomical changes such as bladder prolapsed exist in the remaining 10% of the cases, non-surgical methods such as collagen injections can be used to avoid surgery.  Should non-surgical methods fail to resolve this issue, new outpatient procedures including the Gynecare TVT, a 30 minute procedure are available.  Please do not let yourself suffer from unnecessary urinary urge or incontinence or embarrassment of diaper change and social isolation.  If you have any questions, please call the Germantown Urology Center at (301) 428-3040 and ask for Allen Farsaii, M.D.  I can help you.


Dr. Allen Farsaii, Urologist with more than 30 years of experience, is the Medical Director at Germantown Urology Center.  He is a graduate of New York Medical College, a Resident and Fellow at the University of California and was Chief of Urology at Veterans Hospital, Los Angeles, and a Clinical Instructor at the West Virginia School of Medicine.

read more